Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Easily Distracted...

I really need another hobby, don't I?

I imagine starting will be the most difficult thing, and not blogging cynically. I don't want this to be a cynical blog, though I suppose the snark will creep in around the edges eventually anyway.

The best way to avoid snark is through beauty, right?



(The Daughters of Edward Darley Boit, 1882. John Singer Sargent. Museum of Fine Arts, Boston.)

This is hardly an unknown painting, but it is so brilliant. As the daughters get older they disappear into the background, removing themselves from recognition. At the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston they recently acquired the pair of giant urns from the Boit heirs, and now they flank the huge portrait--the urns in the painting are about 3/4 size. When I lived in Boston I made frequent pilgrimages to this painting, which was displayed in the same room as this much snarkier near-contemporary:



(At The Opera, 1879. Mary Stevenson Cassatt. Museum of Fine Arts, Boston.)

And now, to return to my sheep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home